04 January 2007

Shocking...

Thailand's powerful military council on Wednesday declared that New Year's Eve bomb attacks in Bangkok were staged by politicians, and renegade army officers loyal to exiled Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who want to topple the government.

Rio de Janeiro's new government and Brazil's top security official will meet Wednesday, to discuss sending federal troops to the city to combat a wave of gang violence, that President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva has called "terrorism".

Grainy cell phone video of Saddam Hussein's execution, triggered international criticism Tuesday, with Britain's deputy prime minister calling the leaked images "unacceptable", and the Vatican decrying the footage as a "spectacle" violating human rights. I have seen the video as well, and I do agree. It's shocking. This should never have happened.

Those were the headlines for today. The execution of Saddam Hussein, was an unacceptable spectacle, but, from a commercial point of view, it was also a big hit. My guess is that it outperformed all special new year tv shows around the world. The fact that I showed a picture of Saddam on the gallows was a major driving force that an unprecedented amount of people looked at my final episode for 2006. Although I'm very happy with the huge amount of viewers, it's with mixed feelings. Why is the death of an ex-dictator so much more interesting to know about then for example the death of a husband who died, trying to safe his family? In today's video I will show, for the last time, Saddam on the gallows. The cellphone video, if you haven't seen it yet, and if you want it, is available. Send an e-mail to: bloomjenifer@yahoo.co.uk mention that you would like to receive the Saddam execution video, and I will send it to you. I personally think it would be of extremely bad taste if I would use the footage in my daily video, but that doesn't mean that I will with hold it from you, if you want to see it.

Anyone who wonders if the situation in Thailand is growing more dangerous rest asured. No, it's not. Specifically for you if you are a foreigner wanting to visit this country. My guess is that Thailand is one of the safest places on earth for foreigners. Thais can be cruel among them selves, but that goes on for as long as I can remember. Do understand, although I live in Thailand for a long, long time, I'm not Thai. But I adopted this country as my home country because I'm totally safe here. And so are you. Please don't let the actions of some deranged people, no matter who they are, let you scare away.

But, as usual, I don't care whatever you do, for whatever reason, as long as you don't forget: love a soldier. Love, Jenifer Bloom. bloomjenifer@yahoo.co.uk

No comments: